Friday, April 15, 2011

CowboyStudio Remote Flash Trigger: Review


At the, uh, middle of this semester, I finally got around to selling my old textbooks from semesters past back to Amazon. With a couple hundred dollars in Amazon credit, I had some serious shopping to do.

I'd been reading David Hobby's Strobist blog for a while, and I figured it was time to give off-camera flash a shot. I knew I didn't need to spend hundreds of dollars on a set of PocketWizards, but maybe if there was something a little bit cheaper I could justify the expense.

There was: this. Cowboy Studio has a range of really cheap remote flashes. For less than a Canon lens hood (damnit, Canon, why don't they come with the lens?!), I bought a set.

The triggers are obviously made in china, but they seem to work pretty well. The range is about what I get out my wifi, meaning that I can pop the flash from 30 yards outside my house. I haven't gone so far as to test the full range, but I figure it will be a rare occasion when I need to pop a flash from 50 yards.

Strangely enough, I've never had a misfire with these. When you press the button, the flash fires...unless it has shut off to save battery. At least with my Canon 430 EX II, pressing the test button on the flash trigger does not wake the flash back up, so I have to walk back over to the flash and fiddle with it until it wakes up.

Overall, these have been a great buy. For only $26, they work great. I even plan on buying another receiver and a cheapie flash to make a more interesting lighting setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment